If you're looking for an alternative to eggs for breakfast (a likely possibility if you follow an ancestral approach to food) try these simple and scrumptious paleo "dream bars."
Yields 12 bars
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup crushed pecans, divided
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup coconut oil (in solid form)
1 vanilla bean, scraped3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)
- Combine the cocoa powder, 1 cup of the pecans and sea salt in a food processor, and pulse until it resembles coarse sand. Add the dates and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Press mixture into the bottom of a small baking dish, about 8x5".
- In a separate dish, combine the coconut oil, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded coconut. Spoon this mixture over the cocoa-pecan crust and smooth with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Top with the remaining pecans, coconut flake and cacao nibs. Cut into 12 portions and top with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.