I made these yummy chocolate almond butter cups yesterday with no intention of putting them here on the blog (the recipe is based on Practical Paleo's primal fudge recipe) but I posted a picture to Instagram and received a lot of interest.
Halloween is tomorrow and I am that mom who doesn't take her children out to trick or treat, so I thought I should make something delicious for them that resembles one of my favorite candies, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. So here's a paleo version that's healthy enough for breakfast. What? No, of course I didn't feed it to them for breakfast this morning. Psshhh.
yields one dozen
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup creamy almond butter, divided
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Pour the coconut oil, 1/2 cup of almond butter, and the honey into a blender. Pulse to combine.
- Add the cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon of the sea salt. Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Divide about half of the mixture between 12 lined muffin cups. An easy way to do this is to use measuring spoons to dole out about 2 tablespoons per cup. Place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to firm slightly.
- Divide the remaining almond butter between each of the chocolate cups. If you use a measuring spoon, it will be about 2 teaspoons. Sprinkle each with a small pinch of sea salt, then pour the remaining chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate until set, about 30 more minutes. Store in the refrigerator in a covered container.